Sunday, November 17, 2013

Dressing to Impress: Style at PRSSA National Conference 2013

This October, I attended the Public Relations Student Society of America (PRSSA) 2013 National Conference for the first time in Philadelphia! I was fortunate enough to get in contact with Mallory Richardson, the National Committee Publications Editor in Chief, to set up a feature story while I was there. As a Public Relations Major and Journalism Minor, this was the perfect opportunity for me to test my skills as an interviewer, writer, photographer and fashion expert. What resulted was this feature on style at National Conference.

Conference requires one to wear business formal outfits during a majority of the morning and afternoon. After all, we are dressing to impress at this conference (and maybe score an internship while we're there!). However, just because you have to dress professionally, doesn't mean you can't be stylish too. Here are the six people I interviewed who exemplified this philosophy and stood out from the crowd!

A big thank you to the people who allowed me to bother them during the Job Fair and Awards Dinner in order to compile this feature and Mallory Richardson for giving me this opportunity!

Brittnie Curtis
Junior - Texas State University San Marcos
Position in Chapter: Social Media Manager

Outfit
Pants: Forever 21
Top and Blazer: JC Penney
Shoes: Charlotte Russe
Bag: Target

1. Who inspires your style?
"Kerri Washington and E! Network."
2. What have you taken away from conference?
"It solidified for me that this is what I really want to do."
3. What is your favorite part of the PR industry?
"The fact that you can be in almost any field. Everybody need PR!"






Isis Darks
Senior - University of Toledo
Position in Chapter: Vice President of Member Services

Outfit
Dress: H&M
Shoes: Dillards

1. How would you describe your personal style?
"I would describe my style as laidback sophistication - a mix of chic and boyish wear."
2. Who influences your personal style?
"Solange Knowles, who embraces bright hues and patterns. I also like Rihanna's style, because she has this tom-boy laidback style that I also embrace."
3. What is your favorite part of the PR industry?
"I love the crisis control portion of PR. PR is needed int eh sustainability of companies because there are always scenarios that can escalate to a company's downfall if crisis control is not in place."




Anna Case
Senior - University of Alabama
Position in Chapter: Member

Outfit
Blazer and Pants: J-Crew
Top: Francesca's

1. How would you describe your personal style?
"Comfortable and neutral, with a lot of fun accessories."
2. What have you learned at conference?
"I've learned that there is so much more to learn! I'm learning about a variety of careers in PR."
3. What is your favorite part of the PR industry?
"I started as an English major. With PR I'm staying busy and I like that. There will always be a need for PR."




Alvin Odems
Junior - University of Toledo
Position in Chapter: Member

Outfit
JC Penney and Macy's

1. How would you describe your personal style and who influences it?
"My personal style is not basic. I'm influenced by Russell Simmons, GQ, Larry Burns and my fraternity Phi Beta Sigma."
2. What has been your favorite part of conference?
"There are so many successful people here. I really liked the CEO of You session. I like the idea of branding yourself. You have to follow before you lead, but then you can personalize everything about you."
3. What is your favorite part about being in PRSSA?
"Networking! I like meeting people because we all have the same mind set and will be in the same industry but we are all taking different routes. Everybody's different."






Ben Butler
Senior - Geneva College
National Committee Member: Vice President of Public Relations

Outfit
Suit and Shirt: H&M
Belt: Michael Kors
Shoes: Penguin
Bow-tie: Vintage 50's
Pocket Square: Custom made

1. How would you describe your personal style and who influences it?
"My style is classic with a unique twist. I'm influence by class celebrities and notable gentlemen like Cary Grant and James Dean."
2. What is your favorite part about being in PRSSA?
"It provides students studying PR with a chance to really prepare themselves for the industry and connect with real professionals."
3. What is your favorite part about the PR industry?
"It's exciting. It's never the same...it's strategic and it's all about reputation. It's invisible and powerful. It's everywhere and it will never die."






Ian Michael Crumm
Pre-Junior - Drexel University
Position in Chapter: Vice President, Member of National Conference Planning Committee

Outfit
Jacket: Juicy Couture
Shirt: Gift from Miami
Shoes: Ashton Gray
Tie: Vintage - Great Grandpa's

1. How would you describe your personal style?
"Eclectic, quirky and colorful."
2. Who influences your personal style?
"Brad Goreski and past decades. I like vintage thrift stores. I tend to create my own trends and not follow typical trends."
3. What is your favorite part about PRSSA National Conference?
"The opportunity for networking. It's a chance to make lifetime friends and solid relationships with people across the country even when you don't see them every day."








Stay tuned for more lovelies! My personal outfits from National Conference coming soon!

-M




No comments:

Post a Comment