Wednesday, April 10, 2013

In Jamaica, we don't have problems. We have situations.

Hello all!

I arrived home from Jamaica a few days ago and I thought I'd let you know how it was. We stayed at Riu Negril which is in Negril on Bloody Bay. With the water being so beautifully blue and green, I wondered why our beach was called Bloody Bay. Well, here's your answer:

Some believe it is in reference to a pirate battle that happened there. The real story is that when whales were hunted many many years ago, they were processed here and the blood from the whales tuned the bay red back then. Interesting and tragic really.

However, now it is a sight to behold. Our resort was an all inclusive, which I was particularly fond of. That meant all food and drinks were including in your vacation package. The food was amazing. You could get delicious fresh or hot food any time of the day. And, of course, I had to have some Jamaican Jerk chicken and pork while I was there. It burned my mouth in the most delightful and delicious way.

Our routine was one I found out of the ordinary for my vacation style. You woke up feeling as if it was 10 or 11 am, when really it was only 7:30! We made great use of our time and spent LOTS of time relaxing by the pool and the ocean. We did some market shopping of course and went on a one day excursion. On this excursion we went to Margaritaville, took a catamaran out into the open ocean, had an opportunity to snorkel, then went to a place called Ricks Cafe where we were able to jump off of the cliffs.

Another great part about our resort was a 14 hour working entertainment crew. They were the nicest people I'd ever met and they held activities and shows from 9 am until 12 midnight every day.

The people of Jamaica in general were the most laid back, kindest and most respectful people I'd ever had the pleasure to meet. They are all super friendly. Even though most have nothing, they don't bother anyone and they are always happy. They would always say "Peace, Love and Respect" and "No problem, mon." It offered me a lot of perspective.

Well, here's the best part. I'll post some photos below for you to look at. If you ever get a chance to go to Jamaica, take it. And stay at the Riu Negril. You won't regret it.

Sunset just after exiting the catamaran


Ricks Cafe

Me and my crazy boy

Steel Drum Band

No comments:

Post a Comment